Sunday, May 12, 2013

Patio Gardening

This is going to be my second summer living in my apartment and I'm doing my patio gardening again. Last year I planted basil, oregano, mint, green peppers, tomatoes, and jalapenos. The herbs came in handy because I cook with herbs all the time, but unfortunately the mint grew with the most weed-like tendency and (darn) I had to enjoy a lot of mojitos last summer. The vegetables were the biggest disappointment because we ended up with one little tomato (delicious of course, but tiny) and two green peppers. Now that I think of it, I don't remember what happened in the jalapeno department. The reason last year failed was because it had no choice. We didn't get back into town after our honeymoon until late June, so that was a little late to start anything.

Plants that I will be adding to my terrarium vase
This year, I am starting plants inside in preparation for summer. I also have a mini greenhouse on my patio, which I am really excited about! It was only $20-some dollars from TJ Maxx and when I saw it, I put back all the other dumb things I was already carrying around and left with the greenhouse. I am starting organic carrots and cucumbers, and I'm already growing some rosemary and sage. I think I'll add some basil to the bunch (although I go through so much of it, it's hardly worth trying to grow it) and maybe some lettuce. I've always wanted to try lettuce even though you could eat the whole plant, stuffing all your efforts into a sandwich. But I guess that's what we plant things for, right?

My little plant starter greenhouse from TJ Maxx

Every spring, as soon as the weather warms up even a hair I get so excited about planting and eating fresh. This year is no exception!

My herbs: sage and rosemary

No comments:

Post a Comment