Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Emma

Emma was the first Jane Austen novel I've ever read, and quite honestly, the only one I've liked. (I enjoy the film adaptations of Austen novels.) When I read Emma the first time, I was also using my Kindle for the first time. I enjoyed the book so much, I read it in about two days, and even stayed up all night to finish it. I loved the way that the story took my by surprise, a bit like a Charlotte Bronte novel might.

The Book

As I said, the book held my attention like crazy. (Not more than any other book though. I love books. Live vicariously through books. I don't think one book necessarily thrills me more than another, just in a different way. Unless it doesn't thrill me at all...that's a different story entirely.) I really enjoyed reading this book and related to the main character, her friendships, and her interests. That's one of my favorite things about reading: getting to "be" someone else for a short time and learning what makes them feel and be the way they are. It's a lesson in relating. I won't give any spoilers about what happens though, if you haven't read it. 

The Miniseries 

I recently started watching Emma the miniseries. I'm only halfway through, but so far I think the makers captured the mood that Austen presented in the novel. And I love Jonny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightley. I've liked him ever since I watched Byron, although if I'm being honest, I was only watching that for Stephen Campbell Moore. (More on that romance another time.)

Jonny Lee Miller as Mr. Knightley
In short, I recommend both the book and the miniseries. This comes from a girl who isn't a big Jane Austen fangirl, so this recommendation should not be taken too lightly. I have not yet watched the Gwyneth Paltrow version, but I'm sure I will one day, once this one stops holding my attention.

I'm being dramatic. Do what you will with this recommendation.

(And don't watch any Stephen Campbell Moore movies. He's mine.)

1 comment: