Saturday, January 11, 2014

Loathsome

Some friends of mine participated in #31daysofloathsome in December, as a response to #30daysofthankfulness in November. Facebook is always a great place for controversial items, but I really enjoyed this one. It seemed inappropriate to participate in December's festivities so immediately after November's so I refrained, but now that it's January, let 'er rip!

Things I Loathe (Listed as I thought of them)


  1. Unfaithful friends - Seriously, this one really gets under my skin. People who are your friend for anything but all the time? Once I'm in, I'm in. I expect the same from you! Sadly, many people don't give it. They are unafraid to backstab if it benefits them
  2. Wet feet - Particularly when ice melt leaks into my boots, but also when I step in a floor puddle in socks. 
  3. Being cold - Cold is just not for me. 
  4. Knotted hair - That feeling at the back of your neck when you've been wearing a bulky sweater or hoodie and now your hair is a nest for a small rat.
  5. Itchy skin - Screw you, winter!
  6. Half-assers in the workplace - Okay, this is a big one for me. I like to give 110% in the workplace, which means I am always stressed because no one can give 110%. Then I see people piddling around at like 70% of below. Nothing makes me more stressed! Not only does that mean I am stuck covering for some of their shortcomings, but it means that between the two of us, there are still fewer than 2 whole humans doing their job. So my attempt to do more than 1 human is still completely worthless. 
  7. Dust, crumbs, dog hair, and general grossness that accumulates - Why does my house get gross in five minutes? It's the animal. I love her, but dude, learn to use the vacuum. 
  8. Poorly constructed stories - Stories where the author drops such heavy-handed clues that when the character finally figures it out you're like, "Are you a moron?" Stories where cardinal rules are broken, such as "feel free to use a coincidence to get the protagonist INTO a conflict, but never one to get him out." Stories that overuse coincidences. Stories that use coincidences at all. Stories that try too hard to be the best story ever and fail miserably. Stories that are filled with drama that doesn't simulate real life in any way. (Many authors seem to forget that even in the apocalypse, humans will still be humans.)
  9. The common misconception the grammar and typos or grammar and syntax are the same thing - As a writer, I encounter many people who don't know any term besides "grammar" when discussing anything they don't like about a piece of writing. Needless to say, if the feedback is merely "it wasn't grammatical," that doesn't leave me much room for improvement. I have no idea what you want from me. 
  10. Judgy people - Mostly, judging people for their clothes or their lifestyle choices. It's none of your business. No one asked you. I hate being in that gossipy situation where I'm sitting with person A and person B walks by. When person A leans in to say "her hair...", "her jeans...", whatever, my first inclination is to get up and walk away. No desire to be in that conversation in all. I also don't like stereotyping. Don't call me a conservative just because I'm a Christian who looks like a Fox news anchor. 
  11. Death - Every time I read a story about a murder, accidental or on purpose, or anyone's death, I feel anger. Death is the suckiest thing that mankind was ever cursed to have to experience. I don't wish it on anyone, by proximity or happening to them. 
  12. Whining - Lots of people complain a lot. If you're whining, I should also hear your ideas for how you plan to fix the problem. I have empathy, sure, but not for people who just whine and complain constantly without ever bringing a single idea to the table. This especially goes for Facebook whining. What do you hope to achieve? Alienating your Facebook friends? Check. 
  13. Missing the mark - Mostly in the workplace. When you're putting THAT MUCH effort into achieving, nothing hurts worse that falling short anyway. When I fail (which, let's face it, means anything short of just right) I fail not only myself, but everyone, at least in my eyes. But not to fall into loathsomeness #12, I am immediately thinking of how to rectify the situation and I think of it until I come up with something. Nights and weekends notwithstanding. 
  14. Lack of kitchen cleanliness - If I go to your house and see a dead cat on the counter, or similarly, food on the floor from "yesterday," or other gross things, I cringe. If I have gotten food poisoning from eating at your house, don't be offended when I bring a granola bar instead of partaking in your dinner. (Yeah...this isn't a made up one.)
  15. Germs in public places - I hate touching things in public. Bathroom doors are covered in the flu. 
  16. Pop, especially brown pop - Don't know why, but it is entirely loathsome.
  17. Jelly donuts - Saw a show when I was a kid where a nerdy boy got a jelly donut smashed in his face. Cannot eat them. Cannot look at them. It really stuck with me. 
  18. In fact, most red foods - I'm getting better at this. I like berries. I still can't eat jelly or jam unless it's apricot. 
  19. Small talk - The ultimate conversation killer. "So, how about this weather?" "So, how about you let me read my book now. I have things to do with my life."
  20. No chip nail polish that outlasts its lifespan - This is a current complaint. When you get no-chip polish with an LED dryer, it peels off nicely after the requisite ten days. When you get it with the cancer causing UV dryer, it never peels off without taking half your nail with it, and it just hangs there, catching your clothes and hair until you RIP your nails off, or go have it soaked off for like an hour. Need to go do that today before I flip. 
  21. Comedy that isn't funny or tries to hard - You aren't making me laugh, so you're making me angry. 
  22. A lot of James Franco movies - This is the End could have been funny, but really? That movie went places I never wanted to see. As with Your Highness. It's an abuse of power, I think, to create such ignorant movies just because you can. A friend the other day was talking about Jeselnik and how he thinks comedians and writers have a "social responsibility." I think it's time someone called out James Franco on HIS social responsibility. 
  23. Flavored chocolate - Like mint or orange flavored. What a waste of chocolate. 
  24. Scratchy clothes, particularly wool or metallics - Once again, screw you, winter. 
  25. Static - Nothing more obnoxious that your hair standing on end, except your clothes clinging to you. Maybe this would be a decent time to mention....screw you, winter!
  26. People who are full of themselves - I love people. Surprisingly, I really do. Maybe it's part of the writer in me--I've been brought up believing that everyone has something to offer, and even if they don't have much to offer, they still have feelings, they are still alive, they matter just as much as you or I or Obama or Beyonce (just as much, or just as little, I should say). I just hate it when people take their own personal pep talks public. When they rant about how "I am a goddess in my own life" or other nonsensical things. I always want to remind them that's a conversation between themselves and their bathroom mirror, not a good Facebook status or drunken speech at a party. 
  27. Taking lots of pills, especially the capsule kind that hate going down - I don't feel like an explanation is required. I just don't like pills.
  28. The tanning culture, or any other cancer-causing cultures - "Hey, let's eat processed foods and smoke cigarettes while lying out on the beach without sunscreen!" Why are you asking for trouble?
  29. Short days - I really don't like when it's already dark out and I'm not even off work. 
  30. PDA - I don't want to see you making out. 
What do you consider loathsome? I probably agree with most of your things too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment